[GRASS-user] Working with a large number of maps

Craig Leat craig at pid.co.za
Wed Dec 19 08:16:10 EST 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Craig Leat wrote:
>
>> I have 139 high resolution images, which I need to use as a background map
>> for some digitizing work.
>>
> How do the individual maps relate to the overall region?
>
> If they are (approximately) tiles, I would suggest using a
> hierarchical approach, patching groups of adjacent tiles into larger
> tiles, then patching the larger tiles together, so that each r.patch
> operation has relatively few maps, and the earlier stages have
> relatively small regions.
>
> The total time taken by r.patch is roughly proportional to the total
> number of cells in the region multiplied by the number of input maps,
> so the combination of a large region and a large number of maps will
> be slow.

Thanks for the advice Glynn. The images are tiles and the filenames
follow a regular pattern, so I am able to patch blocks together quite
easily with a simple script. I included lots of echos in the script and
now I even have verbose messages ;-)

The script is running right now and making good progress...

Craig