[GRASS-user] Building gdal for use with grass and MrSid

Rainer M Krug Rainer.grass at krugs.de
Sat Dec 22 07:16:50 EST 2007

Hi

I have to compile gdal from source as I need MrSid support (I have a
huge number of MrSid files and I don't have enough HDD space to convert
them to geotiff...). Therefore I have to compile gdal myself. As I want
to have the same functuonality of GRASS 6 with gdal, I am wondering:
which options should I set to get a gdal with all the "standard"
functuanality as in the SuSE 10.2 package.

I would compile gdal 1.4.4 with MrSid support from source and use
checkinstall to create the rpm which I would then install.

In addition: I have four rpms with gdal installed, namely

libgdal0-1.4.2-2.1
libgdal-devel-1.4.2-2.1
libgdal-grass-1.4.1-1.7
gdal-1.4.2-2.1

would any of the libgdal packages affected when I install gdal from
source? If yes, how can I compile and install them?

Thanks,

Rainer