[GRASS-user] vector data - convert lines/intersections into areas?

Kurt Heston kheston at hestonsystems.com
Mon Dec 31 01:21:00 EST 2007

I'm relatively new to Grass.

I've had some luck at figuring out how to convert DXF files into vector
data within Grass but I'm running into a problem.  The CAD designer that
generated these DXF files used horizontal and vertical lines to create
large grids.  Visually, the lines form a multitude of squares and
rectangles, but the intersections are not defined at the vector level.
That is, they were not drawn as closed polygons, so v.in.dxf doesn't
yield any areas.

I'd like each of the "polygons" created by the grid lines to become a
vector area, but haven't yet found a clever way to do it.  For now, I'm
simply creating a raster with the vector data, pulling it back in with
r.in.gdal and subsequently using "r.to.vect feature=area" to find the
closed polygons.

Is there a way that I can go about this purely within the vector space?
I'd like to skip the lossy raster conversion step.  Thanks for the help.