[GRASS-user] Time and slope: a hiking problem

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 06:24:59 EST 2007

The way I'd do it is calculate the aspect (r.slope.aspect). From the manual:

--------------------
The aspect categories represent the number degrees of east and they
increase counterclockwise: 90deg is North, 180 is West, 270 is South
360 is East, and the aspect value 0 is used to indicate undefined
aspect in flat areas with slope=0.

Then you just have to know the general orientation of the trail and
you can come up with a rule in r.mapcalc and multiply all uphill areas
of the trail by -1. Of course, if it's a circular trail or a very
curvy one, then this might not work...

Cheers
Daniel