[GRASS-user] Time and slope: a hiking problem

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 07:20:24 EST 2007

Ok, let's say your trail goes from south to north. From the
r.slope.aspect manual we have that:
90deg is North (slope facing north) - I might be confused here,
someone shed some ligth
180 is West
270 is South
360 is East

So, for a trail going north, when you face a slope that has a 90
degree aspect, it means you will be going uphill... Or, for that
matter, any slope that is higher 0 degrees (0 is flat surface) and
equal or less then 180 degrees will be an uphill. Actually, 180 degree
aspect (W) and 360 (E) is a trail going on a "slanted" surface. A
better approach would be any aspect between 45 (NE) and 135 (NW) would
be uphill, fro this S-N trail and the rest, downhill...

            90
       ___N___
       |           |
180 W         E 360
       |__ S__ |
           270

Then, in r.mapcalc you would do:

new_slope = if(aspect > 45 && aspect < 135, slope, slope*-1)

the if statement is like this: if(condition, value if true, value if false)
I might have confused the positive and negative for uphill and
downhill on my previous email

This is just a general approach. There might be a way to convert your
trail to a vector path, break it down to smaller segments and
calculate the orientation for each segment. Then compare the vector
orientation to the slope aspect. But I have no idea how to do that...

Cheers
Daniel