[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS 6.2.1 winGRASS/Cygwin binaries available: was: Re: Xganim errors in WinGRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 10 12:30:14 EST 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > .. there is no usable 6.2.x cygwin binary; if someone understands how to
> > > compile GRASS for cygwin, chances are they already have access to a UNIX
> > > machine somewhere already. For everyone else on windows there's a choice
> > > between an out of date development snapshot build for cygwin, and the
> > > experimental MSys development snapshot build ..
> >
> > I managed to compile 6.2.1 (using DLLs) on the current version of
> > Cygwin without any detectable problems (other than that I forgot to
> > use the Unix/X11 Tcl/Tk, so NVIZ doesn't work).
> >
> > Once I've recompiled with a working version of NVIZ, I can provide the
> > resulting binary package if someone tells me how to upload it.
>
> Thanks to Glynn, we now have a new GRASS 6.2.1 winGRASS/Cygwin binary
> packages available at
> http://grass.itc.it/grass62/binary/mswindows/
> (on the mirrors the next 1-2 days)
>
> For now I have linked to Huidae's install instructions. If anyone
> provides me with new install docs, I can upload them to the server, too.

The package I made is just a .tar.gz file. It should be extracted into
Cygwin's root directory, e.g.:

	$ cd /
	$ tar xzf /path/to/grass-6.2.1-cygwin.tar.gz

Everything will be /usr/local/grass-6.2.1, except for the grass62
script which is in /usr/local/bin.

Regarding external dependencies: the only dependencies which aren't
provided by Cygwin are GDAL and Tcl/Tk.

I used the tcltk-grass package from Huidae's site, so you'll probably
need the same package if you want to run NVIZ (NVIZ itself is
statically linked, but it will probably still need the scripts in
/usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 and tk8.4).

GDAL is 1.3.1, built from source. Again, that's statically linked;
certain things will need GDAL's "share" directory, although that's
likely to be less version-specific than is the case for Tcl/Tk. If
necessary, I can provide the GDAL 1.3.1 binaries (3.8 MiB).

As for using Cygwin's setup.exe, I suspect that a similar process to
that described on Huidae's site could be made to work for grass.itc.it
by adding a suitable setup.ini file to the same directory as the
tarball; see:

	http://geni.ath.cx/grass/setup.ini

I don't think that you need anything except the setup.ini and the
tarballs (which are just normal tarballs designed to extract into the
root directory).