[GRASS-user] (no subject)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 21:05:59 EST 2007

Amaginary Studios wrote:

> I am wondering how it is possible to create 2.5D NVIZ map from a 20m
> interval contour line shapefile that has the elevation information as
> an attribute.
>
> I'm new to using GRASS for such things.
>
> I'll keep reading, but most of the information is about .dem files.

GRASS was historically mainly a raster based GIS, only with GRASS 6.0
did we gain a powerful vector engine. Thus many of the modules and
documentation deal with digital elevation models in gridded raster form.

Keeping in that tradition: convert your vector contour file to a raster
DEM:

g.region res=
v.to.rast use=attr column=elevation out=contour_map
r.surf.contour in=contour_map out=dem_map
nviz dem_map

see the individual help pages for more info.

Hamish