[GRASS-user] libiconv compile error

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Feb 13 16:56:17 EST 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Micha Silver wrote:
>

>> I have libiconv in /usr/local/lib:
>>

> That's the problem.
>
> If you're using Linux, you should be using the iconv implementation
> which is included in GNU libc. Installing a stand-alone iconv library
> will result in conflicts with the version in libc.

I suspected something like that.  So I've done:
#make uninstall
in the source directory for the stand-alone iconv. Then
#ldconfig
and now I see:
[root at akev ~]# ldconfig -p | grep iconv
[root at akev ~]#
So it's gone, but the compile still errors in several directories with:
/home/micha/download/gis/grass-6.2.0/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_driver.so:
undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/home/micha/download/gis/grass-6.2.0/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_driver.so:
undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
/home/micha/download/gis/grass-6.2.0/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_driver.so:
undefined reference to `libiconv'

Here's the built in version of iconv:
[micha at akev vector]$ iconv --version
iconv (GNU libc) 2.3.4