[GRASS-user] Viewing ecw files

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Wed Feb 14 12:52:52 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 17:42 +0100, Carlos Dávila wrote:
> Hello all
> I have tried to import some ecw files into grass and with some
> exceptions (problems reading some lines from input) I can do it. But
> main problem I have is that I use ecw files over 700 MB each one and
> they become more than 7 GB once imported. You can imagine the amount of
> disk space it takes to work with 10-12 maps of such size and how slow
> everything goes. Is there any way to see these maps without importing
> them or with a smaller output size?
>
> It's absolutely necessary for me to use these maps, so I thank any solution.

It would be really nice if GRASS had a wavelet based scheme for imagery,
but that would require significant development and many of us don't have
the spare time available.  At the moment, Hamish's suggestion is about
the best that can be done.  GRASS cannot handle such large datasets with
efficiency.

ECW is a wonderful format.  It is hard to beat the compression and speed
of scale change.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785