[GRASS-user] equivalent to "select by location"

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Feb 14 14:45:27 EST 2007

Tim Michelsen wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new to GRASS and learned to work with GIS on the ESRI product family.
>
> For a project I need to do kind of a topological selection.
>
> What is the equvalent to "select by location" in ArcMap?

Tim,

When looking for a functionality in GRASS which you roughly know what
it could be called, just try to search the manual pages with your html
browser.

In this particular case a possible scheme would be:

1. As I know I'm looking for a vector functionality, I'd enter the
vector part of GRASS manual,
http://grass.itc.it/grass63/manuals/html63_user/vector.html

2. search for the "select" string on that page

3. it returns few hits, for 4 commands alltogether, out of which
v.select and v.extract sound promissing

Don't forget that you have the html manual installed localy too - eg.
on my machine it's /usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/docs/html/index.html.

Another approach could be searching for a string in the
/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/docs/html/v.* with mc or grep or any other
tool you like. Might be tedious a bit, but still quicker than getting a
respond from mailinng list, usually.

Maciek