[GRASS-user] Re: Cygwin winGRASS 6.2 Errors! [SUCESS}

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 00:31:52 EST 2007

Hamish wrote:
> > > $ grass62
> > > # GUI Startup
> > > # select spearfish
> > > # gis.m starts up but then crashes:
> > > GRASS 6.2.1 (spearfish60):~ > child process exited abnormally

got it!

$ cygcheck g.region

shows that the fftw3 DLL couldn't be found.

$ cygcheck i.pca

shows that the jasper (JPEG 2000) DLL couldn't be found.

So restart the cygwin installer & install those two packages (they can
be found in the Libs section) and all modules work. (including NVIZ,
which isn't surprising, but it always is)

so fftw3 and jasper need to make it into setup.ini. I suppose jasper
belongs in gdal's entry?
any reason you used such an old GDAL version?

> > > Starting GRASS ...
> > > //usr/local/share/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/.gislock: No such
> > > host or network path ERROR: /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/etc/lock:
> > > Admin is currently running GRASS in selected mapset. Concurrent
> > > use not allowed.
> > >
> > > I guess it doesn't like /usr/local/share/grassdata/. Pity, as this
> > > is a multi-user machine in the student lab.
> >
> > No, it doesn't like the double slash, which indicates a network path
> > (//usr/local = SMB share named "local" on host "usr").
>
> oh, right. I'll try that again and see if the extra '/' was inserted
> by me or the system.

In the TclTk startup, if you go into the [Browse] file picker for
DATABASE and ../ your way back to root dir from $HOME, the top dir is
shown as //., so when you pick /usr/local/share/grassdata/ it keeps
the extra '^/'. If you edit that out by hand back on the main GUI
startup screen it goes back to normal and everything works.

other observations to follow..

Hamish