[GRASS-user] output parameter not set error

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 18:42:46 EST 2007

Maciej:
> >> I upgraded grass from cvs last night and am getting the following
> >error:
> >>
> >> ---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
> >> GRASS 6.3.cvs (locs):~ > d.m&
> >> [1] 20730
> >> GRASS 6.3.cvs (locs):~ > Error in startup script:
> >> ERROR: Required parameter <output> not set:
> >>     (PostScript output file).
> >> ---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---
Seb:
> > That's because 'ps.map -p', which d.m calls from
> > $GISBASE/etc/dm/print.tcl, doesn't work anymore. CCing grass-dev.

Paul:
> This is because of a change made to fix this issue:
> http://www.intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3418&display=History
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2007-February/026632.html
>
> I have only skimmed over this briefly but IMHO the original bug report
> is wrong and it should be a "won't fix" -  it would seem that
> specifying an output file is indeed optional if all that the user
> wants to do is list the available paper sizes.

oops, sorry about that. fixed in CVS.

Also, WRT another recent change, copies= is not a cartographic mapping
instruction, so it does belong in the command line program controls.

(It does actually slightly alter the .ps output file, but my guess is
that this is such an infrequently used option that we don't have to
spend much energy on it. Anybody ever used it? For what/why?)

Hamish