[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.2.1-1 Installation Question

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 19 15:34:26 EST 2007

Ramu Narayanan wrote:

> I opened grass62 in text mode using the Spearfish60, typed in g.gisenv and
> noticed that LOCATION_NAME was set to Spearfish60 but not LOCATION.

That's correct.

The naming is a historical artifact; there used to be an environment
variable named LOCATION which contained the full path to the mapset
directory.

> I then
> added a LOCATION variable (not sure if needed) and then entered gis.m which
> then opened up the GRASS6.2 manager, map display and output windows.  I can
> now enter the GUI and the text based modes without seeing the same error
> message that I saw before.  The problem I currently face is that when I
> enter the command into the GRASS command prompt:
>
> d.mon x0
>
> The following message appears:
>
> GRASS 6.2.1 (spearfish60):~ > d.mon x0
> using default visual which is TrueColor
> ncolors: 16777216
> Graphics driver [x0] started

This indicates that the driver has completed initialisation and is
ready to accept connections. But:

> Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.

This suggests that it doesn't get beyond that point. Does the window
ever appear? Does XDRIVER.exe appear in the Processes tab of the
Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete)?