[GRASS-user] 64 bit or parallel processing

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 05:19:58 EST 2007

Hello Hamish
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Hamish wrote:

> (I'm not a superexpert with this either, so maybe I am slightly wrong in
> places)
>
> for GRASS 5 there was a parallelized s.surf.idw (MPI), see
>  http://grass.ibiblio.org/download/addons.php

Yes although IMHO it is not much use because it was a bad approach to
improving efficiency - using a more efficient algorithm would have been
better than parallelising an inefficient algorithm. See my message to Yann
Chemin here:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-January/028617.html
AFAIK no one has ever compared s.surf.idw.mpi with the improved
s.surf.idw.

Paul