[GRASS-user] 64 bit or parallel processing

Charles Ehlschlaeger c.ehlschlaeger at insightbb.com
Wed Feb 28 19:52:38 EST 2007

Most GRASS raster functions, r.mapcalc and similar, won't speed up by more
than a couple of percent from parallelization. 90% of the time spent by
these commands comes from moving the data off the hard drive and getting it
to the CPU and visa versa (based on parallel processing research I did in
the mid '90s). For "normal" GRASS raster commands, having four hard drives
on RAID 0 will dramatically increase GRASS performance more than anything
one thing you could do to a computer (or GRASS itself). The reason ORNL
parallelized my code was that the computational requirements was over c^2,
where c is the number of grid cells on a map, for some of the analyses they
wanted to do.

As Hamish wrote in recent email, good candidates for parallelization would
be viewshed analysis or other functions requiring many cells to be read to
get a value for each output grid cell. r.watershed won't benefit from
parallelization.

Chuck Ehlschlaeger, Associate Professor & GIS Center Director
Department  of  Geography,      Western  Illinois  University
215 Tillman Hall,   1 University Circle,  Macomb,  IL   61455
cre111 at wiu.edu,    phone: 309-298-1841,     fax: 309-298-3003