[GRASS-user] SRTM data, postgis and topographic maps

Bruce Bushby bruce.bushby at rmsaudio.com
Thu Jan 4 12:15:31 EST 2007

Hello Grass users,

I'm hoping to find somebody who understands SRTM data and wouldn't mind
sharing a few pointers.

I've downloaded various data sets, GTOPO30, SRTM30, SRTM3 and SRTM1 and
have tried to understand the various DEM formats (geotiff, DEM, binary
rasta etc)

Is it possible to import the data into a PostGIS database as data rather
then a BLOB? I was hoping there was coordinate/height data which I could
use.

My goal is to have grass generate a topo map given a specified
location/scale and perhaps have a crack at generating movie fly overs.
My Grass is compiled with FFmpeg.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce