[GRASS-user] Re: documentation of georectify tool in gis.m

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jan 13 18:43:52 EST 2007

Moritz and Jachym,

I was able to fix some of the issues you raised, plus a couple you hadn't
noticed yet.

On 1/11/07 10:13 AM, "Moritz Lennert" <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

>> It is pretty straightforward (IMHO).
>
> It is once you understand it. One of my main problems was that I thought
> the "ref. map" was what you call the "base map" below, i.e. the one
> which is already georeferenced. As you can imagine I have problems

I changed the button label to 'select map' and made the mouse-over help more
informative.

> Another counter-intuitive (for me) feature is the fact that erasing
> works on the non-selected points. I would have expected the contrary
> (although I understand the reasoning...).

Keeping this for the moment. The idea is to erase points you are not going
to use. As you say, this is a bit counterintuitive at first, but the
mouseover help is pretty clear. The check box is for using the points for
georeferencing. Unchecked points are not used for georefencing. Let's see if
it really causes problems or not.

> In terms of comfort, it would be great if the cursor jumped on to the
> next point after a click on the base map. Now, it automatically jumps to
> the "geographic coordinates" fields after a click on the reference map,
> but this does not happen when you click on the base map.
>
> In addition, if you happen to click twice on the base map, the new
> coordinates get written after those that are already in the "geographic
> coordinates" field. In my eyes, if you have the cursor in the field and
> click on the map, the previous coordinates should be erased and the new
> ones written. This would make it easier if your hand slipped while
> trying to get a point on the base map.

I remember having real problems getting the cursor to even do what it does
now. I'll have to put some considerable thought into this.

> After having done a georectification, closed the georectifier and then
> opening it again with a new group to rectify (but from the same
> origin-mapset), there are (logically) no more coordinates in the
> georectifier window, but the RMS values from the previous run are still
> visible. This could be a bit confusion. I would suggest setting them to
> empty at every new start of the georectifier.

I think this is fixed now.

Also fixed the problem with the GCP display not keeping up with the zoomed
display.

Also fixed a bug that popped up when closing a vector group creation dialog,
and another that could cause a problem with latlog files (same that was
giving people the *.ppm not found error in the map display).

I just committed it all to the cvs

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University