[GRASS-user] GRASS promotion team

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Jan 15 08:09:33 EST 2007

I agree a CD is needed... Although this has been talked about for a long time...

A brochure would take less time.. And frankly the more time we sit around the more people go uninformed about Grass.

-----Original Message-----
From: grassuser-bounces at grass.itc.it [mailto:grassuser-bounces at grass.itc.it] On Behalf Of JJ
Sent: January 14, 2007 14:07
To: Jachym Cepicky
Cc: grass user
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS promotion team

Hi
Great, Grat  idea... but I suggest two steps, before brochures and posters:
- good and easy to install live CD: see - try - install. Ubuntu seems to be good platform to create such....- I try to promote FOSS GIS software among my students (GIS Day, occasional and regular lecuters) sudents reports me that existing LiveCD are inactual and hard to install (for
them) they looks for something easiear, like ubuntu
- and the second:  the system of help and tutorials of grass is still based on text mode. It is excelent for grass experienced users, but is really frustrating for (potential) new users. How to convieced new user that grass is really user frendly with few lines of comands with lot of parameters? A good, completly GUI based beginner tutorial, it is what is needed first...
regards
Jarek