[GRASS-user] xwindow, dhcp and grass

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jan 22 04:05:02 EST 2007

On 20/01/07 19:12, Gerald Nelson wrote:
> This question is only partially related to grass. I'm currently in
> Rome (at FAO) for a couple of months and want to use xwindows on my
> laptop to access my linux box with grass on it back home in the
> states. I'm staying in an apartment that uses a usb ADSL connection
> (tisoli for those who might know about this). I have tried the
> following.
>
> 1. run xming with the default settings created with xlaunch (starts a
> passive x server) 2. run either putty or ssh with x tunneling turned
> on 3. in the terminal window I can type xclock & and the little clock
> window shows up.
>
> However, when I type grass63, choose my region and then gis.m, if I
> get anything it takes a LOOOOOONG time for the logo window to appear
> and the output window, but the gui never shows up.
>
> Any tips on how to do this appreciated. Do I need to set the DISPLAY
> variable on the linux box? Any other settings I should know about?

No idea about this specific problem, but I have had very good experience
running GRASS over an nxserver/nxclient environment (using freenx
servier and nomachine's nxclient).

You might have to follow this
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-September/025596.html
if you get "Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk
applicationunknown" as an error.

Moritz