[GRASS-user] ERROR: lat/long databases not (yet) supported

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 22 04:15:38 EST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 mlage at usal.es wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m desperate! Help me please.
> I don’t understand why when I write the coordinates in the command line:
>
> r.los in=map out=visibility coord=-6.411,42.162
>
> I get this error message:
>
> ERROR: lat/long databases not (yet) supported.
>
> What am I doing wrong???? Please help me!!!!

Not reading the error message? Lines 132/4 in raster/r.los/main.c say:

    if ((G_projection() == PROJECTION_LL))
	G_fatal_error(
	  _("Lat/Long support is not (yet) implemented for this module."));

which means that no automatic projection is available. Use r.proj to
create a new projected location. Measuring distances from point
and raster cell positions in long/lat involves Great Circle distances, and
these are not available for this module; planar geometry is much simpler.