[GRASS-user] compiling 6.3 cvs on ubuntu 64bit

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 24 21:29:36 EST 2007

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> >> the line was just an example of the error. In fact in every line is a
> >> syntax error before ftnlen  and L_fp...
> >
> > Ah. In that case, my first guess would be that you're trying to use
> > gcc 4.x, whose Fortran support is essentially broken.
>
> Glynn,
>
> Does that mean that i.fft and i.fft will not build or work properly
> using gfortran coming with GCC 4.0.3?

Neither i.fft/i.ifft nor anything else in GRASS use BLAS/LAPACK or
anything else written in Fortran. The only code which uses BLAS/LAPACK
are some functions in the gmath library which are currently unused,
and which were only added because someone felt that they might be
useful in the future.

If you build without BLAS/LAPACK, the rest of the gmath library
(including the FFT functions) builds fine.

> Is that an issue only with 64 bit systems?

No, it applies to all platforms.

Essentially, gcc 4.x doesn't include g2c.h, which provides C
definitions for the basic Fortran types used in blas.h and lapack.h.

In fact, if BLAS/LAPACK were built with gfortran (which replaces g77
in gcc 4.x), it isn't clear that it's even possible to call those
functions from C. If it is possible, the details don't appear to be
documented.