[GRASS-user] slope in lat long

Gerald Nelson gnelson at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 25 02:45:39 EST 2007

The exchange below reminds me to ask a question that is not really about GRASS. Both GRASS and the main competitor want x,y, and z units to be the same when computing slope, or want the user to input a conversion between the xy and z units. I would have thought that if the software knows that x and y are in lat long and that z is in meters it could do the slope calculation. But there seems to be no way to tell either GIS that z is in meters and automatically do the slope. So I project to some utm system and do it there. Is there a geographic reason for why the software packages don't allow this or am I not finding the right set of commands in them?

Thanks, Jerry