[GRASS-user] Raster aggregation with r.neighbors

Patrick Meyfroidt meyfroidt at geog.ucl.ac.be
Fri Jan 26 10:11:54 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm working with grass 6.2.1 and I'm looking for a way to aggregate a
raster (downscale the resolution from 1km to 5km by calculating the
average of values over a 5x5 pixels window). It seems that
r.resamp.stats is designed for that, but it is not in version 6.2.1
So I used r.neighbors like that:

 > g.region res=5000
 > r.neighbors -a input=xxx output=xxx method=average size=5

In the archive I found that:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2002-September/007417.html
but using the -a option seemed to solve the problem of output resolution.

Can anyone tell me if this method could be problematic in some way,
or provide less performant results than r.resample.stats?

Thank you,

Patrick Meyfroidt

Research assistant
Laboratory of Land Change and Remote Sensing
Department of Geography
University of Louvain
Place Louis Pasteur, 3
B - 1348 Louvain-La-Neuve