[GRASS-user] Peak point extraction from DEM

Amagine amagine at telus.net
Mon Jul 2 03:00:46 EDT 2007

Thanks Martin, I'll have a look at terrain analysis in grass.  See
what I can come up with.

>> I would like to be able to regulate the following parameters:
>>
>> Minimum height of peak
>
> A topographic "peak" will have an elevation, not a range of
> elevations. So
> I'm not sure what you mean.

I should have elaborated further.

Minimum height of peak, meaning do not classify any peaks below a set
minimum threshold : 1000 m for instance.

>> Minimum drop of surrounding peaks
>
> Not sure what you mean here too.

Meaning a peak is not extracted if there are surrounding elevations
within a minimum drop amount
eg. 50m or 100m (depending on accuracy of DEM file and refinement
desired of distinct peaks)

>> summit points
>> optional hierarchy...
>>

> I guess these are technical mountaineering terms? So again I'm not
> sure what
> data you are hoping to extract.

Summit points.... The highest point on a peak.

So a peak encompasses all vertical surface areas within the "Summit"
point based on the above two categories.

I suppose I define a peak as a categorical area, and a summit as a
point. Perhaps there are better definitions.

Hierarchy in my mind would be to classify peaks within peaks. Based
on the initial two parameters (Minimum height of peak, minimum drop
of surrounding peaks)

I suppose I should draw a picture :) probably make more sense.

Thanks!

Mars