[GRASS-user] Scientific Comparison between GRASS and Proprietary Remote Sensing/GIS Software

Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 9 10:22:32 EDT 2007

Jan & others,

I am in the process of 'selling' GRASS GIS to a large number of GIS experts within my agency in the U.S. next week. I am  preparing a presentation that focuses on our needs in hydrologic forecasting, which includes real-time data analysis and map production. At this point, my experience has been that anyone who has taken the time to give GRASS GIS a try, has been very impressed. In all of my discussions, I have not tried to say that GRASS can be a full replacement to, say, ArcGIS, but rather, to supplement ArcGIS. Part of my agencies' 'problem' is that our operational environment is Linux, which pretty much makes the use of ArcGIS a significant issue, not to mention the prohibitive cost of licensing to make GIS available to all potential users — up to 9 simultaneous users at each of approximately 140 separate locations around the U.S.

Regards,
Tom