[GRASS-user] importing .dgn files in grass

Juan Miguel Garijo saldinet at yahoo.es
Wed Jul 11 02:04:53 EDT 2007

--- nishith datta <nkdiitd2002 at gmail.com> escribió:

> hi all
> I have been able to import a dgn file into grass
> using the v.in.ogr but I
> have all the point, line and poly
> features in the same layer. Next When i use v.what
> then I get a attribute
> listing which I can't quite understand
> Anyone who can help me out with - how to seperate
> the point , lines and
> polys into three different layers. Also
> if possible there could be different things
> represented as lines - roads and
> rivers both are line features. So how to extract
> these from the .dgn file
> into two different layers. I am attaching the output
> of v.what command for
> ease of anyone who wishes to help me out.
> Output of Grass v.what command :-
>
> East: -21786.9555969
> North: -23164.1739966
> Map: nkd
> Mapset: PERMANENT
> Point
>
> Layer: 1
> Category: 9362
> driver: dbf
> database:
> /ramdisk/grass/locations/43p/PERMANENT/dbf/
> table: nkd
> key column: cat
> cat : 9362
> Type : 17
> Level : 3
> GraphicGro : 0
> ColorIndex : 0
> Weight : 1
> Style : 0
> EntityNum :
> MSLink :
> Text : Paswal
>
> When I try to see the layers in the .dgn file using
> the option list
> available layers in the dataset and exit from
> v.in.ogr
> I get the output
> Data source contains 1 layers:
> elements
>
> But I think the data source contains more than one
> layer - atleast one line,
> one point and one poly for sure. What is the meaning
> of the above
> output.....
>

> Thanks in advance.
> Nishith

GRASS Layer, is not the same of dgn's Layer(Level)

Make a external database conection:

v.external dsn=yourmap.dgn output=yourmap

open yourmap in a monitor

You can test every entity in the dgn with v.what

Make attention on the Level value, and others fields
values of the entities you want to include in a vector
GRASS file.

Import just this entities with the the option
"where=":

v.in.ogr -z -o dsn=yourmap.dgn output=yourmapX
where=Level=X min_area=0.0001 snap=-1

And so on for each map

Juan M. Garijo