[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.3 Installation Woes on OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jul 11 22:48:49 EDT 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 8:26 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> If you have a .grassrc6 file that has a set gisdbase, location, and/or
> mapset (e.g., from using GRASS previously) and then you delete or
> rename any
> of the above, GRASS init.sh will generate an error and GRASS will
> crash on
> launch with the error message below.
>
> The only fix is to either make the gisdbase, location, or mapset
> directory
> that is listed in .grassrc6, or directly edit .grassrc6 to change
> or remove
> the offending line.

Ah, yeah, that's an annoying one.  Though the text and TclTk GUI
don't quit, just notify you of the problem.

> Init.sh needs to trap this kind of error--or maybe better just
> ignore it. If
> any of these files is not present, GRASS should simply go to either
> a) the
> initial text based startup screen if the text interface or no
> interface is
> selected in .grassrc6, or b) go to the GUI for selecting
> gisdbase/location/mapset as if the gisdbase/location/mapset line
> was missing
> from .grassrc6. In any case this should not cause a crash.

Part of the problem, specifically for the OSX app startup, is that
double-clicking the app doesn't give you the option to start directly
into a mapset, like you can do with 'grass6 /path/to/location/mapset/
map' from the command line, or adding -text to the startup command,
so it makes editing .grassrc6 necessary to correct problems.

I just thought of one thing I can do for the app startup - drag-n-
drop.  I can have the AppleScript app take a folder dropped onto it
as the '/path/to/location/mapset/map' option.  I didn't use /path/to/
location/mapset/map much in the past, so it didn't occur to me to use
drag-n-drop in the app ^_^

The selection of text/gui startup I deliberately avoided in the app
startup, because I didn't want a dialog at startup every time, like
Lorenzo does in his binary.  I wonder if I can get AppleScript to
intercept a modifier like shift or option at startup, hmmm...

[wanders off to ponder AppleScript ideas...]

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy