[GRASS-user] Lines with anti-aliasing

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 20:21:51 EDT 2007

> nikguitar wrote:
> > anyone knows if is possible to have smoothed lines in maps generated
> > from grass? I'm doing a map where bathymetry and elevation are
> > combined with a vector layer related to political boundaries. The
> > quality of the map is impressive, not the boundaries. They are
> > extremely pixelated. It's a pity!
> >
> > Any advices?

Glynn:
> Generate an oversized image then rescale it with antialiasing.
>
> Some suggestions for generating the original image:
>
> 1. Use the PS driver
> 2. Use ps.map
> 3. Increase the resolution and use linewidth=

FWIW, I have noticed that the PS driver with 'd.vect width=[2+]' makes
very pixelated lines, while d.vect for areas look very nice & smooth.
I assume it's due to the way line width= is implemented.

nikguitar wrote:
>> 3. Increase the resolution and use linewidth=
> What does it mean exactly?

'd.out.file res=4' + 'd.vect width=4' + gimp resize using cubic
resampling method after making color mode RGB.

Hamish