[GRASS-user] help with postgres DB

nishith datta nkdiitd2002 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 01:29:57 EDT 2007

hi all,
I have a .dbf file holding the attribute info - result of importing a .dgn
file using v.in.ogr.
The file is in /home/knoppix/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/dbf directory (I am
using live CD).
I wish to set up a ODBC connection with a Postgres SQL DB and import the
.dbf file to pg for
advanced querying options.
I have been able to start postgres SQL service on port 5432. It is running.
But when I do a createdb command from grass console I get a prompt that role
<knoppix> does not exist.
or role <root> doesnot exist.
What do I have to do .... to create a new DB in postgresSQL from grass
console and then import the .dbf layer
to it.
Actually I am writting a shell script .. so it is important to do this from
the Grass console. Is there a way to do
what I wan't from the Grass console....one more thing the
db.createdbcommand when entered in the grass console
says that no such command ... so I am using createdb.
Thanks
nishith