[GRASS-user] ECW data

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jul 16 10:06:21 EDT 2007

Normally you would use GDAL compiled with the ECW library support.

BUT, I can't get it to work on OSX.  It always gives me invalid image
errors, and others have the same problem so it's not just me.  I've
asked ERmapper (uh, Leica) about it, but they only officially support
10.3.9 PPC, which is not usable on 10.4 because of C++ compiler
version differences.  I've asked in their forums for any user/
programmers that could help, but no response.

Strangely enough, GraphicConverter uses the ECW library and works, I
think it uses different library calls to read them.  But GC loses the
geographic info, and it doesn't handle large files very well.
Because it works in GC, I also have a bug report for GDAL, but also
no action on it yet.

On Jul 16, 2007, at 12:30 AM, Mars Sjoden wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> I'm just wondering what the best way to import a 3.5GB .ecw file
> into GRASS is?
>
> cheers,
>
> Mars

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin