[GRASS-user] ECW data

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jul 16 11:53:28 EDT 2007

Well, you can try, but that's what I'm doing and then getting the
problems.  And, for OSX, ECW still needs a bit of patching - a fix
for Mac Intel and a reversion to an earlier source and a couple other
minor changes.

On Jul 16, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Mars Sjoden wrote:

> Just to add,
>
> I found this:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ECW
>
> I'll give it a try.
>
> Mars
>

> On 16-Jul-07, at 7:59 AM, Mars Sjoden wrote:
>
>> Thanks William,
>>
>> Good to know.
>>
>> I'll keep digging.
>>
>> Mars
>>

>> On 16-Jul-07, at 7:06 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>
>>> Normally you would use GDAL compiled with the ECW library support.
>>>
>>> BUT, I can't get it to work on OSX.  It always gives me invalid
>>> image errors, and others have the same problem so it's not just
>>> me.  I've asked ERmapper (uh, Leica) about it, but they only
>>> officially support 10.3.9 PPC, which is not usable on 10.4
>>> because of C++ compiler version differences.  I've asked in their
>>> forums for any user/programmers that could help, but no response.
>>>
>>> Strangely enough, GraphicConverter uses the ECW library and
>>> works, I think it uses different library calls to read them.  But
>>> GC loses the geographic info, and it doesn't handle large files
>>> very well.  Because it works in GC, I also have a bug report for
>>> GDAL, but also no action on it yet.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in
a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy