[GRASS-user] One raster from many

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Jul 16 14:32:33 EDT 2007

Daniel Farnan @ San Francisco wrote:
> Tried r.patch and r.cross - did not use these previously, r.patch
> took over 4 days to process the rasters, and still crashed my
> machine.

It's better to reply via the mailing list, so more folks can participate.

r.patch should not fail to process as little as 11 SRTM tiles within 4
days, either 1" or 3". Propably you have your working region/resolution
set to big and running out of memory?

try:

g.region rast=rast1,rast2,...,rast11 -a
r.patch in=rast1,rast2,...,rast11 out=rast_all

Does that still crash? What GRASS version and platform?

> I am not really concerned about the null values,

No worries. r.patch will treat null transparent.

> the area
> is large, and the files had to be downloaded piecemeal from USGS, I
> just want to put them together as one file. :-) thanks for the
> response - I was hoping it was r.patch when I did the GUI
> exploration last week, however it seems not.

Besides r.patch (and multipurpose r.mapcalc) there is not other tool in
GRASS usefull for "quilting" rasters I guess.

Maciek