[GRASS-user] Has GRASS been used to create near real-time display of geomap?

Nithi, Nachi K (Karun) karun at research.bell-labs.com
Mon Jul 16 15:37:12 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I am wondering whether GRASS has been used to create near real-time
display of vector maps with a street map (of a state or county) as the
background map (PNG map) and several layers of symbols on top of it.
These additional layers can be, for example, movement of a fleet of
vehicles (each type of vehicle as a separate layer). If we want to
create vector maps frequently with several thousand points (or vehicle
symbols) how responsive GRASS will be in terms of speed and memory
usage. Assume that we want to use mysql as the database and that the map
will be displayed on a web browser.

Thanks,

-Karun