[GRASS-user] ECW data

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jul 17 13:35:16 EDT 2007

One more possibility, just to be thorough:

If you have an Intel Mac: virtualization.  Parallels is nice (I
haven't tried VMWare).  You can use either Windows (any version from
3.1 up), or a Linux of your choice.  It's not emulation, so they run
at near native speed.  I may end up doing this so I can convert those
Blue Marble images.

With Linux, the problem is that the communication between OSX and
Linux is limited to TCP - you need to use FTP or SCP to copy the ECW
to the Linux file system, then the same to copy the converted files
back to OSX.  But it's much cheaper ;)

With Windows, you need a retail copy of Windows.  But Parallels can
directly connect the OSX disk to the Windows system - much easier to
copy files back and forth, or just let the FWTools operate directly
on the OSX files.

With both, though, you need to have a few GB free on the OSX file
system to create the disk image for the virtualized system.

Another possibility is dual-booting an Intel Mac.  Boot Camp can
easily setup Windows to run natively on your Mac.  The problems: need
to repartition your disk, can only boot one system at a time, limited
to Win XP SP2+ (can't do Win 2K :( ), maybe Linux possible (not well
documented).

On Jul 17, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> Richard Greenwood wrote:
>> On 7/15/07, Mars Sjoden <amagine at telus.net> wrote:
>
>>> I'm just wondering what the best way to import a 3.5GB .ecw file
>>> into
>>> GRASS