[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii incorrect boundaries

Morten Sickel Morten.Sickel at nrpa.no
Wed Jul 25 10:04:08 EDT 2007

I am trying to define a map using v.in.ascii. The map is basically a few
squares in the northern atlantic ocean defined in Lat lon, So I have
made this input file:

MAP NAME: hav
MAP DATE: 2007
VERTI:
B 5 1
 -12 81
 3 81
 3 73.5
 -12 73.5
 -12 81
1 26
B 5 1
 -12 71
 3 71
 3 73.5
 -12 73.5
 -12 71
1 38
B 5 1
 -7 71
 3 71
 3 68
 -7 68
 -7 71
1 36
B 5 1
 -7 71
 -12 71
 -12 68
 -7 68
 -7 71
1 35

and then I save it at Havomrder.txt and import it using

v.in.ascii --o  input=Havomrder.txt output=hav fs=' ' format=standard

and get the following messages:

Building topology ...
4 primitives registered
Building areas:  100%
2 areas built
2 isles built
Attaching islands:  100%
Attaching centroids:  100%
Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   3
Number of primitives:   4
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   4
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   2
Number of isles     :   2
Number of incorrect boundaries   :   2
Number of areas without centroid :   2

I thought I should have gotten 4 areas build and no isles and I do not
understand why I get the two last lines. Does it matter if I define the
areas CW or CCW? I have tried to remove the .5 and to save the file both
as a dos and unix file without any help.

I am running grass 6.2.2 on a Cygwin / win Xp system.

When displaying the file (d.vect hav), I get lines that looks
reasonable, but no vertexes or centroides, when using d.what.vect, I get
feature type Area but I never get any id when clicking in the uppermost
largest square and in the other three, I get (seemingly) randomly
categories 26, 38 and 36 wiht feature type Boundary...

I cannot see from the help file for v.in.ascii what may be wrong.

thanks

Morten Sickel