[GRASS-user] how to import maps/Database

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 31 11:04:38 EDT 2007

If you are completely new to GIS, it would really help you first to read
some kind of basic intro text on GIS. There are many, and an increasing
number aimed at the use of GIS in domains beyond GI Science (e.g.,
archaeology, biology, geology, business, etc). Note that because of ESRI's
dominance in the commercial GIS market, many texts use ArcView/ArcGIS
examples. You'll need to try to extract the fundamental concepts and not
worry about the details of software use in such cases.

If you are familiar with GIS but baffled by GRASS, the manual has a LOT of
help. Especially good to begin with are the sections: How to start with
GRASS, 2D raster map processing, Vector map processing, and Database
management.

The GRASS manual is very detailed and is full of excellent examples. It is
one of the most useful pieces of documentation to actually come with a piece
of very complicated software that I've encountered (i.e., you don't have to
go out and buy additional books to learn about details that the manual
omits). However, it assumes you have a basic working knowledge of GIS.

Also, look on the GRASS WIKI site for an increasingly rich source for ways
to solve particularly sticky problems and even more examples.

Michael

On 7/31/07 1:15 AM, "jivanr" <jeevan_rapolu at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am very new to GIS GRASS.,
> I installed GRASS6.2.2Rc1 on Fedora core5.
>
> I downloaded the Spearfish60 sample data also, I am getting maps.
> But How to import new database,
>                 How to utilize the maps
>                 Where I can get other database to import in GRASS.
> I am not able to do anything, plz help me in this regard.
>
> Thank you very much in advance..
>
> Regards
> J Reddy

Director of Graduate Studies