[GRASS-user] Some suggestions

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sun Jun 3 04:05:45 EDT 2007

I'm a new GRASS user. I've been aware of GRASS for many years, and
installed version 5 some time ago, but now finally I'm "getting out of
first gear". Since the new python based gui development is advancing, I
think it's appropriate to throw out some comments regarding the current
tcl/tk gui that might be improved.

First: the overall structure of the application windows. I find it
bothersome and un-intuitive having several overlapping windows to deal
with. Each new command opens its own little window, which stays open
after the command runs, leaving the screen cluttered. Nearly every
computer application, on any OS, that runs in a gui will follow the
paradigm of one application window, with menu and command buttons at the
top, a large display area in the center, and "other" stuff (options,
file tree etc.) along one side. I *don't* say that the new gui should
copy the format of the commercial application from Redlands CA, but that
format in so prevalent, and obvious that it would just make the
day-to-day use of GRASS easier and more intuitive, rather than juggling
thru several separate little windows. I believe that Jackym's tabbed
options idea might address this problem somewhat.

Second: Currently (tcl/tk) the menu items appear as a long string
describing what each command does. These descriptions to my mind are
unnecessary and confusing, whereas the actual command names are short
and obvious. (Again, I'm speaking as a new user). What is "Color balance
and enhance color tables of multiband imagery for rgb display"? Once I
open the  options window, and I see that it's i.landsat.rgb, then I
understand...  Another example: Why say  "Carve stream channels into
elevation map using vector streams  map" ? The actual command name
"r.carve" is very clear. The proper place for the longer verbal
explanation of each command is in tool-tips that appear when hovering
over a menu item or button. The menu items should be 1-2 words at most,
often the command name itself.

Third: I'd like to see a fully interactive terminal window as part of
the main application window. Again I think Jachym is addressing this
question. I saw a poll not long ago asking GRASS users if they used
mostly the command line, the gui or QGIS. I think the consensus was that
most switch back and forth between the gui and the command line. So
there's no doubt in my mind that an interactive terminal window should
be part of the gui, along the bottom, probably. Each menu chosen command
should appear in the terminal, and the user should also be able to edit
these commands, use the shell's command history, etc. And the command
output should also appear here. In other words this command line should
replace the current output window, with the additional capability of
interactive use.

Sorry for the long post. And If I'm "breaking into an open door", i.e.
if these suggestions are already being implemented then a double "Well
Done" to the contributors.

Regards,

Micha