[GRASS-user] v.in.ogr driver for .kml

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:51:26 EDT 2007

Jorge,

On 6/4/07, Jorge Echeverri <jorge.echeverri at stein.de> wrote:

>  Hi everybody,
>
> Does any body know, whether there is a driver for importing .kml data into
> GRASS?
>
> The supported drivers seem to be ditribution-depending, mine is V. 6.2.1for Linux Suse
> 10.2??
>
> Thanks
>
> Jorge

OGR has a driver for KML but it is write-only at this time. So v.in.ogr will
not work with KML.

One alternative would be to convert the KML into a shapefile and import that
into GRASS. I wrote up a rough methodology for this conversion at
http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=3 .

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller