[GRASS-user] Terrestrial laserscanning data

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 22:50:23 EDT 2007

Dr. Manuel Seeger wrote:

> I have some data from terrestrial laserscanning. We scanned from at
> least 2 different points. Now I need to put the scanning data
> together. Is GRASS able to transform from one xyz to another xyz
> location? I have all reference points...

how are two do datasets organized? how many points in each?
how is the relation between the two defined? each set have its own
origin of [0,0,0]?

if two sets of less than a million points, with a known distance &
bearing or surveyed positions for the two, and each with its own center
at [0,0,0], you can load them both in with v.in.ascii into the same
mapset, and then move one's coords to the other's using v.transform.

if you can define a more complicatated relationship between the two,
you could use PROJ.4's cs2cs tool, or maybe figure something with
m.proj, v.proj, i.vpoints, or the GUI georect tool, but we'd need more
details about the form of the dataset to give any more advice on those.

Hamish