[GRASS-user] Differential growth

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Mar 7 18:35:21 EST 2007

I have a situation where I'm examining the growth of industrial
footprint in native prairie. One of the factors is invasion by
non-native species along roads. These species will grow at different
rates on different soils. This is relatively easy to solve using
v.buffer as there is a buffer column option.

What I'm unsure of how to deal with is that there is a directional
component because of prevailing winds. I was thinking that probably the
only way to do this was to convert to raster and then use iterations of
r.mapcalc to grow the footprint at different rates in different
directions (basically splitting the r.mapcalc buffer example from the
pdf documentation into four parts). This would work but this will
involve creating a lot of temporary files splitting of the ages and
soil types and then in the end merging it all back together again.

Does anyone know of a more elegant way to do this?

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)