[GRASS-user] Help reqired

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Wed Mar 14 02:23:52 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 18:24 -0500, Arindam Nath wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying if I can use the source code for GRASS and compile in VC++
> (Windows.) so that I can run from Windows platfrom without Cygwin. The
> desire is to run it just as a VC++ workspace.
> Can any one please help me in ths regard.

GRASS uses a number of UNIX conventions that are not present in Windows.
Cygwin provides the majority of missing functionality.

Unfortunately, a native[1] Windows port would involve a rewrite of most
of the code.  IMO, the only realistic approach is to emulate object
orientation so that each OS could provide low level hooks to generalize
the code sanely (this approach will not cluttering the code with
preprocessor macros, long branches, etc.).

It would be nice to provide a native Windows port, but I don't see this
happening anytime soon.  There is too much code and not enough
entrenched developers to provide such Whiz-Bang features.

[1] Cygwin is *not* native Windows.  WIN32 API *is*.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785