[GRASS-user] new packages for ubuntu avaliable

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:56:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

> please hand your configuration back to the debian-gis-project to
> include them into the debian-gis-SVN.
>
> cheers
>
>         stephan

The point is, I'm not a *real* maintainer.  I just take the config
files from debian gis/ubuntu/ separate repositories and modify them,
so they are using ubuntu versions of libraries and if I can, I try to
upgrade them to current version of common used libraries (like gdal
1.4.0, which is not available in ubuntu, but users would like to use
it)... I'm just the guy, who is compiling the packages allready for
himself, so he makes them available for other people too - without big
background knowledge - you know far more then me about how to prepare
debian package and you are building them for you too, AFAIK.

Maybe ones, I would like to contribute to ubuntu/debian gis project.
But till this happen, I should learn, how to do it the clean way, and
not just hacking around..

I would welcome any advice from the debian/ubuntu gis maintainers
about how to do the upgrade the clean way, so they could reuse the
source packages, I do,  easily (you can get them now, just run apt-get
source grass). But till now, none come and since the packages are
working for me, I do not ask.

Just my 2 cents

Jachym
--