[GRASS-user] Dumb Newbie Question - Georectifier

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Mar 19 10:18:30 EDT 2007

Richard

The problems you are encountering are general to GRASS in transition. In all
earlier version of GRASS (<6.2), there was an underlying assumption that you
were working in a x11 terminal window. A number of modules (i.points for
example), created a user interface in that environment. This is relatively
foreign to most Mac users (although it is available) and not an option for
Windows users unless they operated in a Unix emulation program like Cygwin.

For the past year, there has been a concerted effort to revamp all GRASS
modules to make x11 terminal use options rather than required. Map displays
can now be seen in a TclTk Canvas (beginning in GRASS 6.2.1) rather than an
x11 monitor.

The new TclTk georeferencing tool wraps several GRASS commands in a TclTk
GUI with a TclTk display canvas. It replaces i.points and i.vpoints. So it
does georectification without the need for an x11 terminal interface. You
should not get any requests to type something into a (sometimes
none-existant) terminal. I don't know the details of the problems you
encountered with it in 6.2.1, but do know that it works pretty well in 6.3.
It needs some documentation, but shouldn't hang. Give it a try with the new
binaries and let me know how it goes.

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University