[GRASS-user] Vector Labels

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Mar 19 16:25:49 EDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 09:04:42PM +0100, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On Mon, March 19, 2007 20:03, Amaginary Studios wrote:
> >
> >> You have the ?use SQL query? box checked and nothing in the query
> >> field. Uncheck this box.
> >
> > Whoops, Yes indeed.
> >
> > I must have accidentally selected this...
> >
> > However, this unfortunately does not solve my problem.
> >
> > I have tried multiple vector files, from tutorials, my own v.org
> > imports and I have never been able to get the labels to work...
> >
> > I hope there may be some other little catch I am not picking up on...
>
> I think it is the fact that the column names are capitalized. If you look
> at the picture, you see that the column name is 'ELEVATION', but the error
> message is that 'elevation' is not found. Try renaming the column to
> elevation in PostgreSQL and see what happens.
>
> Normally, identifier names in PostgreSQL are case insensitive, so this
> shouldn't make any difference. I imagine the problem must be somewhere in
> the GRASS db driver.

I am fairly sure that PostgreSQL column names are case *sensitive*.
This means that they have to be quoted. But I am not sure if GRASS
is able to work with quoted column names.
If ever possible, I would avoid capitalized column names.

If you are using v.in.ogr, there is this flag:
-w
    Change column names to lowercase characters

Markus