[GRASS-user] Vector Labels

Amaginary Studios amagine at telus.net
Mon Mar 19 17:22:48 EDT 2007

> Could you be more precise about your problem ?

I removed the '_ID__' column from the database, and also tried
renaming this column to 'ID', and 'id'
doing so, removed the proper linking to my vector polygons...

This is under advisement that perhaps the '_ID__'  is not readable by
the GRASS database manager.

I have found out that in someway it is readable though. ( I'm no
database geek... sure wish I was though!)

>> It would be so simple if I could just simply move CAT to the
>> beginning of the Table.
>
> Why ? The position of a field in a table does not make any difference.
>
> Moritz

You are right, in some instances it does not make a difference,
however, in one of my many tests I found that if 'cat' is in the
first column my 'Elevation' column was now readable and the labels
were appearing in the display.

The problem with this last test was that the proper linking to each
vector polygon was destroyed and the attribute data was improperly
linked.

Any time I had the '_ID__' column in any other position from the
first column or renamed, the proper linking was destroyed....

 From a previous note:

I am fairly sure that PostgreSQL column names are case *sensitive*.
This means that they have to be quoted. But I am not sure if GRASS
is able to work with quoted column names.
If ever possible, I would avoid capitalized column names.

If you are using v.in.ogr, there is this flag:
-w
     Change column names to lowercase characters

Markus

Taking Markus's advice I simply renamed my column 'Elevation' to
'elevation' within PostgreSQL.

Doing so has fixed everything!

or so it seems so far...

So far, leaving '_ID__' column as it is does not pose any problems,
perhaps it will in the future somehow, but it keeps the linking bound
like this so I'll leave it this way...

Sooo,

It is important to have all your columns in lowercase.

Thank You!

Learning a lot here.

Mars

Amaginary Studios
amagine at telus.net
Phone 250 845 7999

Mars Sjoden
3320 Mount Davis Way
Houston BC
V0J 1Z2

READ CAREFULLY.
By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your employer, to
release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all
NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap,
clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete
and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered
into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns,
in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me from
any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.