[GRASS-user] getting started

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 22 01:08:24 EDT 2007

Press the help button on the startup screen and read the startup help.

In brief, you need to select/create a "location", which is a working folder
for which you define the projection parameters. You can do this 3 ways: 1)
search the extensive ESPG list of projections for one that fits your working
area, 2) set the projection from a georeferenced file, or 3) set the
projection parameters manually. Once you have created a location, you can
simply select it and start to work.

In your case, you need a projection in NAD83, UTM, Zone 10N. I'm sure that
this is in the ESPG projections list.

Michael

On 3/21/07 1:17 PM, "Russell Senior" <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> I'm a GRASS newbie.  I want to generate some maps on top of usgs color
> orthoimagery (as nad83 utm zone 10n geotiffs), using wgs84 decimal
> lat/long point data.  When I start up GRASS I am immediately faced
> with questions I don't know the answers to, the whole
> mapset/location/bounding box/datum/something-about-raster-pitch/etc.
>
> Can someone help me get started?

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213