[GRASS-user] Lambert Conformal Conic location

Roberto Antolin roberto.antolin at polimi.it
Wed Mar 28 08:55:45 EDT 2007

Hola Miriam,

Miriam ha scritto:
> I'm triying to define a new location for a volume with this data:
>
> Lambert Conformal projection:
> 	Standard Latitude 1: 60.000000
> 	Standard Latitude 2: 30.000000
> 	North/South Pole Row: -61.842026
> 	North/South Pole Column: 19.503059
> 	Central Longitude: 85.000000
> 	Column Increment: 90.000008 km
>
> In 6.3-cvs.
>
> It's a grid over Florida of 34 rows and 40 cols.
>
> I'm selecting this option on the shell-script menu:

> 'Florida location'
> projection: lcc
> datum: nad27
> parameters: 1
> Central Parallel:36N
> Standart Parallel 1: 60N
> Standart Parallel 2: 30N
> Central meridian: 85W
> False easting: -61.84
> False northing: 19.50
>

> After I make the input above  that i don't know if it's correct, i try a
> region from 40N 0S 0W 34E, 1 res n-s, 1 res w-e (because I know previously
> that the grid is 34x40),

Maybe I'm wrong, since I've never worked before with this kind of
projections within GRASS, but the bounding box that you have just set
begins at O°West and ends at 34°East. However, the central meridian for
your data is 85°West. So I suppose your data is around this meridian,
not between 0°-30°.

> I can't calculate the
> grid dimensions for the region which adjusts my map... i can't see it.

Try:
# g.region rast=your_map -g

and you will set the region to fix your map and also you will see what's
really your data's bounding box. After that, you should be able to
visualize your map:
# d.mon x0
# d.rast "your_map"

> Anyone can suggest a solution? Maybe I don't understand the region
> concept... what are the units which I define the region: meters, pixels,
> degrees...?

The region units can be seen in the "YOUR_LOCATION/PERMANENT/PROJ_UNIT" file

I hope it will help.
Salu2,
Roberto.

Ps: También puedes enviarlo al lista en español, así generamos algo de
tráfico en la lista ;)

--
Roberto Antolín Sánchez
Politecnico di Milano – Polo Regionale di Como
email: roberto.antolin at polimi.it