[GRASS-user] measuring distance along a line

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 16 12:51:56 EDT 2007

Something that just struck me. You might well be able to get some
reasonabley accurate information on this simply by running r.profile. It
will output cumulative distance along a line--specified by a series of xy
points--along with the value of a raster (e.g., elevation) at each point.

Michael

On 5/16/07 1:42 AM, "Ronja Düffel" <dueffel at informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
wrote:

> Thanks for the fast reply, I'll try your suggestion and report back to the
> list.
>
> Ronja
>

> Am Dienstag, 15. Mai 2007 13:13 schrieben Sie:
>> Ronja Düffel wrote:
>>> is there a possibility to measure distance along a line in grass?
>>
>> yes.
>>
>>> I have a map of a river system and I have points (given by Northing
>>> and Easting) where rivers con- or diverge. Now I would like know the
>>> distance between those points, measured along the course of the
>>> river. Is there a possibility to do that in grass without having to
>>> measure the distance by hand (i.e. using the measuring tool in the
>>> display window)?
>>
>> Beware that this is a fractal problem and the answer is dubious!
>>

>> maybe something like:
>>
>> v.clean in=rivers out=river_lines tool=break
>> v.db.addcol river_lines column="seg_length DOUBLE PRECISION"
>> v.to.db river_lines option=length column=seg_length units=me
>>
>> d.vect river_lines disp=shape,attr attrcol=seg_length
>>

>> you might also look at v.segment and v.lrs.*
>>

>> Hamish

Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213