[GRASS-user] grass live CD for education

wouter.buytaert at scarlet.be wouter.buytaert at scarlet.be
Fri May 18 12:05:08 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I am giving GRASS (and open source GIS) workshops every now and then. The
next one is in a few weeks. The problem is, I have only windows machines
available, and I have had bad experiences with badly installed CYGWIN and
GRASS versions in the past. (I have to leave it to the sysadmins).

I have proposed to use linux liveCD's but I am not allowed to use them due
to security reasons (access to the HD and network).

Theoretically it does not seem to be too difficult to disable those
functions on a liveCD. Although I am an experienced linux user, I have no
experience with liveCD's. So before I spend a lot of time trying, I would
like the opinion of the mailing list.
Specifically:

- anyone with experience making linux live CD's including grass?

- if so, which distribution to start with (knoppix seems a logical choice
and has a good customisation manual)

- any hidden snakes under the grass that anyone knows of?

Cheers

Wouter