Fwd: [GRASS-user] grass live CD for education

Leonidas Carrasco-Letelier lcletelier at gmail.com
Fri May 18 13:10:27 EDT 2007

Dear Wouter,

About LiveCD with GRASS, I suggest to prove the POSEIDON linux distribution.
This is Knoppix modified which contain a lot of software for GIS as GRASS,
QGIS, SPRING, and other more.
To get this distribution you must  go to
http://poseidon.furg.br/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I used this distrubution to show in my institution that linux ang GRASS are
an alternative to other Arc-nnn software.

Sincerely yours

Leonidas

2007/5/18, wouter.buytaert at scarlet.be <wouter.buytaert at scarlet.be >:

> Hi all,
>
> I am giving GRASS (and open source GIS) workshops every now and then. The
> next one is in a few weeks. The problem is, I have only windows machines
> available, and I have had bad experiences with badly installed CYGWIN and
> GRASS versions in the past. (I have to leave it to the sysadmins).
>
> I have proposed to use linux liveCD's but I am not allowed to use them due
> to security reasons (access to the HD and network).
>
> Theoretically it does not seem to be too difficult to disable those
> functions on a liveCD. Although I am an experienced linux user, I have no
> experience with liveCD's. So before I spend a lot of time trying, I would
> like the opinion of the mailing list.
> Specifically:
>
> - anyone with experience making linux live CD's including grass?
>
> - if so, which distribution to start with (knoppix seems a logical choice
> and has a good customisation manual)
>
> - any hidden snakes under the grass that anyone knows of?
>
> Cheers
>
> Wouter

Leonidas Carrasco-Letelier
INIA-La Estanzuela              Tel: +598 574 8000
Colonia                                Fax.:+598 574 8012
URUGUAY                             www.inia.org.uy